Balsamic Roasted Fennel & Acorn Squash Rice Casserole
Acorn squash, fennel, and balsamic vinegar come together in this hearty and filling vegetarian meal.
This recipe contains acorn squash, fennel bulb, olive oil (extra virgin), balsamic vinegar, fresh garlic, rosemary (fresh), salt, pepper, rice (wild), parsley (fresh)
Prep time: 15 min
Cook time: 50 min
- 1 whole acorn squash, cut in half lengthwise, seeded and cut into 12 wedges
- 1 whole fennel bulb, trimmed, cored and cut into 8 pieces
- 2 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tbsp. balsamic vinegar
- 3 clove(s) garlic, minced
- 1 tbsp. rosemary, chopped
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. pepper
- 1 pkg(s) 6oz. long grain and wild rice, fast cook
- 2 tsp. parsley, chopped
- 1. Preheat oven to 400°F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper or non-stick foil.
- 2. Remove the skin from the squash with a vegetable peeler (if desired). Cut each piece in half and place in a large bowl along with the fennel pieces.
- 3. Whisk the olive oil, balsamic vinegar, garlic, rosemary, salt, and pepper together in a small bowl. Drizzle mixture over the squash and fennel; toss to coat. Transfer squash and fennel mixture onto the prepared baking sheet and spread out to form a single layer.
- 4. Roast until squash is tender, about 45 minutes, stirring every 15 minutes.
- 5. Meanwhile, prepare the rice as directed on the box. Mix the roasted squash and fennel with the rice. Transfer to a greased casserole dish. Top with the chopped parsley and keep warm until ready to serve.