Strawberry French Toast Roll-Ups
These fun, crunchy and sweet roll-ups are the kind of breakfast food that both kids and adults will like. Get kids involved in the cooking. For little and big kids: Let them help with rolling the bread out, and filling and coating the roll-ups. For an easy variation, swap out the cream cheese and sugar in the filling for 1/4 cup chocolate-hazelnut spread.
This recipe contains cooking spray, cream cheese, sugar, bread (sandwich), strawberries, heavy cream, eggs, ground cinnamon, maple syrup
Prep time: 30 min
Cook time: 15 min
- Cooking spray
- 1/4 cup(s) cream cheese, at room temperature
- 2 cup(s) plus 1/2 cup sugar
- 6 slices stale white sandwich bread, crusts removed
- 5 cup(s) or 6 strawberries (about 1/2 cup), diced
- 1/4 cup(s) heavy cream
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- 1 tbsp. ground cinnamon
- Maple syrup, optional
- 1. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment, and spray the parchment with cooking spray.
- 2. Mix together the cream cheese and 2 tablespoons sugar in a small bowl.
- 3. Roll each slice of bread flat with a rolling pin, and spread with 1 heaping teaspoon of the cream cheese mixture.
- 4. Place 2 heaping teaspoons of the diced strawberries at one end of each slice.
- 5. Starting at that end, roll up each slice. Pinch and press the seam and ends so each roll-up is sealed, and push back in any ingredients that may have snuck out of the ends.
- 6. Whisk the cream and eggs together in a small bowl.
- 7. Combine the remaining 1/2 cup sugar and the cinnamon in a shallow dish.
- 8. Dip each roll-up in the egg mixture until completely submerged, shake off excess egg, then cover completely in the cinnamon sugar.
- 9. Arrange the roll-ups, seam-side down and evenly spaced, on the prepared baking sheet.
- 10. Bake the roll-ups until they're golden brown and the cinnamon sugar forms a crunchy layer, about 15 minutes.
- 11. Let cool for 5 minutes, then transfer to a cutting board.
- 12. Trim off any excess caramelized sugar, and slice each roll-up in half on the diagonal (be careful when slicing, as the filling is hot).
- 13. Serve the roll-ups on a platter, with maple syrup on the side if using.