Four-Cheese Scalloped Potatoes
To make this decadent side dish, layer thinly sliced potatoes with heavy cream and mozzarella, Asiago and gruyere cheeses. Top with Parmesan cheese and bake until bubbly.
This recipe contains unsalted butter, garlic, cheese (mozzarella, shredded), cheese (asiago), cheese (gruyere), potatoes (russet), salt (kosher), black pepper (cracked), heavy cream, fresh nutmeg, bay leaves, cheese (parmesan)
Prep time: 20 min
Cook time: 30 min
- 1 1/2 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into pieces, plus more for brushing
- 1/2 clove garlic
- 1/3 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1/3 cup shredded asiago cheese
- 1/3 cup shredded gruyere cheese
- 2 pounds russet potatoes, peeled and sliced 1/8 inch thick
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground pepper
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 4 fresh bay leaves
- 1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1. Position a rack in the upper third of the oven and preheat to 425 degrees F.
- 2. Generously brush a large skillet with butter, then rub with the garlic.
- 3. Combine the mozzarella, asiago and gruyere in a bowl.
- 4. Heat the skillet over medium-high heat. Add half of the potatoes, spreading them out.
- 5. Sprinkle with 3/4 teaspoon salt, half of the cut-up butter, half of the shredded cheese blend, and pepper to taste.
- 6. Arrange the remaining potatoes on top. Sprinkle with 3/4 teaspoon salt, and pepper to taste.
- 7. Pour the cream over the potatoes, then add the nutmeg and bay leaves; simmer 3 minutes.
- 8. Dot the potatoes with the remaining cut-up butter.
- 9. Generously brush a shallow baking dish with butter; slide the potatoes into the dish; arrange with a fork, if desired.
- 10. Sprinkle the potatoes with the parmesan and the remaining shredded cheese blend.
- 11. Bake until golden, about 25 minutes. Let rest 5 minutes before serving. Discard the bay leaves.