Sausage Raisin Bread Dressing
A sweet twist on traditional Holiday dressing, made with raisin bread.
This recipe contains butter (unsalted), bread (french), bread (raisin), onions (yellow), fennel bulb, sausage, parsley, rosemary, sage (fresh), chicken stock (low sodium), salt, black pepper
8 - 10 Servings
Prep time: 1 hr +
Cook time: 1 hr 10 min
- 1 1/2 cup(s) unsalted butter, divided
- 1 lb. day-old white French or ciabatta bread, diced into 1/2-inch cubes
- 8 oz. raisin bread, diced into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1 large yellow onion, diced small
- 1 fennel bulb, diced small
- 12 oz. sweet sausage, casing removed
- 2 tbsp. chopped parsley, plus more for garnish
- 2 tbsp. chopped rosemary
- 2 tbsp. chopped sage
- 2 - 2 1/2 cup(s) low sodium chicken stock
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. pepper
- 1. Preheat oven to 250F. Place cubed bread on a baking sheet and bake, stirring occasionally, until dried out, about 45 minutes. Transfer bread to a very large bowl; set aside. Preheat oven to 375F
- 2. To a large skillet, add 1 cup of butter and heat over medium-high heat to melt. Add onions, fennel, herbs, and cook until vegetables have softened and are just beginning to lightly brown, about 10 minutes. Pour over bread and mix.
- 3. Cook sausage, stirring and breaking up meat into small pieces, until browned. Add sausage and stock to bread mixture and stir till incorporated. Spread evenly in a baking dish
- 4. Dice the remaining butter and evenly dot the butter over the top of the stuffing. Cover with foil and bake for 20 minutes. Uncover and bake for an additional 25 to 30 minutes, or until top is as lightly golden browned as desired. Serve immediately.