Apple Tart Tatin
My husband doesn't like apple pie but he LOVES apple tart tatin, which is a hundred times easier to make in my opinion. My pie dough recipe is enough for 3 tart tatins so save the extra dough (freeze) for the next time you make this, because trust me, you will, maybe again this week. I use equal parts cake flour and AP flour in my pie crust but you can only use AP flour if preferred. When it comes to baking and pastry, weighing your ingredients is a necessity. Also, make sure all your dough ingredients are as cold as possible. I actually take my butter out of the freezer right before I use it.
This recipe contains , flour (cake), flour (all-purpose), milk, butter (unsalted), sugar, salt, , apples (granny smith), butter (unsalted), sugar
2 - 4 Servings
Prep time: 20 min
Cook time: 30 min
- 5 oz. cake flour
- 5 oz. all-purpose flour
- 3 1/2 - 4 oz. milk
- 7 oz. unsalted butter
- 1/2 oz. sugar
- 1 tsp. salt
- 2 whole granny smith apples
- 2 oz. unsalted butter, softened or melted
- 3 oz. sugar
- 1. Dough:
Using a food processor, combine flour, butter, salt and sugar. Pulse until the size of small peas.
- 2. Add cold milk while pulsing. The mixture is ready when you pinch some of the crumbly dough together with your fingers and it holds together.
- 3. Carefully empty the crumbly dough mixture from the food processor. Gather the mixture in a mound and push down on the dough crumbles a few times, don't over knead.
- 4. Form discs, about 6 oz each. Wrap in plastic and refrigerate the one you will be using and freeze the other two.
- 5. Meanwhile, peel, core and quarter apples.
- 6. Using an 8 inch, oven safe skillet, melt butter and cover with an even layer of sugar.
- 7. Arrange apples on sugar, rounded sides down, in a circular motion. It may seem cramped and bulky but the apples will cook down.
- 8. Place skillet over medium-high heat and cook until butter melts, sugar dissolves and begins to caramelize about 10-12 minutes.
- 9. While apples cook, preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
- 10. Meanwhile, remove crust disk from the refrigerator, sprinkle work surface with flour and roll pie dough to an 8 inch circle, about 1/8 inch thick.
- 11. Place crust on top of apples and tuck in edges around apples.
- 12. Bake in the preheated oven until crust is golden brown, about 20 minutes. Allow to cool for 5 minutes.
- 13. Place a plate over the top of the pan and carefully invert to release tart from the pan. Enjoy!