Vegetarian French Bread Pizza
I know what you’re thinking: How on earth can I eat French bread pizza and lose weight? Well, I really do a number on the poor loaf of bread—I take out almost all the inside of the bread, saving calories and unnecessary carbohydrates. So try this baby out, and don’t feel bad if you let out an evil laugh while destroying the loaf of bread—I always do! Great for lunch, dinner or as an appetizer.
(On page 159 of Lose Weight by Eating: Detox Week)
Get the cookbook today! www.loseweightbyeating.com
This recipe contains baguette, cheese (mozzarella, shredded), tomato sauce, tomato paste, basil (fresh), fresh garlic, bell peppers, onions (red), mushrooms (white), olives (black), artichoke hearts, black pepper, salt (kosher)
Prep time: 15 min
Cook time: 20 min
- 1 whole large french baguette
- 4 oz. shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1 can(s) 8oz. tomato sauce
- 2 tbsp. tomato paste
- 10 fresh basil leaves, chopped
- 2 clove(s) garlic cloves, chopped
- 2 whole red or green bell peppers, cut into 1∕8-inch dice
- 1/4 cup(s) diced red onion
- 1 cup(s) white mushrooms, sliced
- 3 tbsp. sliced black olives, canned
- 3 artichoke hearts (canned), roughly chopped
- 1 - 3 ds. freshly ground black pepper
- 1 - 3 ds. kosher salt
- 1. In a medium bowl, mix together the tomato sauce, tomato paste, basil, garlic, and a pinch each of salt and black pepper. Set aside to marinate for at least 1 hour, but you can do this up to 24 hours ahead of time.
- 2. Preheat the oven to 375°F.
- 3. Slice the bread lengthwise in thirds. Reserve the middle third to make bread crumbs, French toast, or croutons.
- 4. Hollow out the top and bottom halves of the bread, leaving a layer of bread ¼ inch thick all the way around.
- 5. Place the tops and bottoms of the bread cut side up on a rimmed baking sheet. Spread half the pizza sauce over each piece of bread and top with the cheese, bell peppers, onion, mushrooms, olives, and artichoke hearts.
- 6. Bake for 15 to 20 minutes, until the cheese has melted and the bread is golden and crispy along the edges.
- 7. Let the pizzas cool for 5 minutes, then cut each pizza into 8 slices and serve (a single serving is 4 slices). Store leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days or in the freezer for up to 3 months.