Vegetable Pita Pizzas
Make these delicious pita pizzas in a snap! Onion wedges, minced garlic, bell pepper strips and thyme simmered in a chicken broth are topped with a layer of smooth melted Sargento® Chef Blends® Shredded 4 Cheese Pizzeria for rustic flavor you crave with every bite.
This recipe contains onions, garlic (fresh), olive oil, bell peppers (green), chicken stock (low sodium), basil (dried), thyme (dried), crushed red pepper, salt, tomatoes (plum), bread (pita), cheese (mozzarella, shredded), basil (fresh)
Prep time: 10 min
Cook time: 5 min
- 1 small onion, cut into thin wedges
- 2 garlic, minced
- 1 tsp. olive oil
- 2 small green bell peppers, cut into thin 1-inch strips
- 1/4 cup(s) reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 tsp. dried basil
- 1/4 tsp. dried thyme
- 1/4 tsp. red pepper flakes
- 1/4 tsp. salt (optional)
- 4 large plum tomatoes, thinly sliced
- 2 (6-inch) pita breads, split horizontally
- 1 - 1/2 oz. Shredded Cheese
- Fresh basil, for garnish
- 1. Cook onion and garlic in olive oil in large skillet over medium heat 2 minutes; stir occasionally. Add pepper strips, broth, basil, thyme, pepper flakes and salt, if desired; cook 5 minutes or until vegetables are tender, stirring occasionally.
- 2. Layer tomatoes evenly over pita breads; top with warm vegetable mixture. Sprinkle evenly with cheese. Place under preheated broiler 5 inches from heat 1 minute or until cheese is melted. Garnish with fresh basil.