Baked Egg-and-Harissa Tarts
These little egg boxes make breakfast or brunch special and are a cinch to make. For little kids: Let them help with measuring and pressing down the baked puff pastry. For big kids: Let them score the dough and crack the eggs into each square.
This recipe contains puff pastry, eggs, tomatoes (cherry), salt (kosher), black pepper, harissa, olive oil, parsley (fresh), cheese (feta), scallions, lemons
Prep time: 40 min
Cook time: 40 min
- 1-9oz sheet puff pastry, thawed
- 4 large eggs
- 8 red and/or yellow cherry tomatoes, halve
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoons harissa
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 cup packed fresh parsley and/or dill leaves
- 1/4 cup crumbled feta cheese
- 1 scallion, sliced
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- 1. Unfold the puff pastry, and cut it into 4 equal squares
- 2. Arrange the squares, evenly spaced, on the prepared baking sheet.
- 3. Measure about 1/4 inch in from one side of each square, and score the dough all down that side almost all the way through with a sharp knife.
- 4. Repeat with the remaining 3 sides, making sure the cuts meet in the corners
- 5. Poke each inner square several times with a fork.
- 6. Bake the dough until puffed and lightly golden, 15 to 20 minutes.
- 7. Let cool fir a few minutes and press on the center of each puff with the bottom of a measuring cup to make a well. Let cool completely.
- 8. Crack 1 egg directly into the well of each pastry shell.
- 9. Arrange the tomato halves cut-side up on the egg whites, sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- 10. Bake until the egg whites are just set but still slightly jiggly and the yolk is still runny, 15 to 20 minutes.
- 11. Meanwhile, whisk together the harissa, 1 tablespoon water, 1 teaspoon of the oil and a pinch of salt in a small bowl.
- 12. Toss the herbs, feta, scallions, lemon juice, the remaining 1 teaspoon oil and a pinch of salt in another small bowl.
- 13. Drizzle each baked tart with some of the harissa sauce, and top with a little mound of the herb mixture.