Sweet Potato Pie
Traditional sweet potato pie.
This recipe contains pie crust pastry (roll out), sugar (light brown), sugar, nutmeg, ginger (ground), salt, butter, sweet potatoes, eggs, milk,
Prep time: 20 min
Cook time: 40 min
- 9 inch prepared pastry for crust
- 1/2 cup(s) light brown sugar
- 1/4 cup(s) sugar
- 1/4 tsp. nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp. ginger, ground
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 2 tbsp. butter, melted
- 1 1/2 cup(s) cooked sweet potatoes or yams, mashed
- 3 eggs, partially beaten
- 3/4 cup(s) milk
- 1. Preheat oven to 425°F. Line a 9-inch pie plate with pastry. Trim and crimp edge as desired; set aside.
- 2. In a mixing bowl, combine sugars, nutmeg, ginger and salt. Add butter, yams and eggs. Beat lightly just until combined. Add milk, stirring well.
- 3. Pour filling into pastry shell. To prevent browning, cover edge of the pie with foil.
- 4. Bake for 20 minutes. Remove foil. Lower oven temperature to 350°F; bake 20 minutes longer, or until knife inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool for 1 to 2 hours on wire rack. Refrigerate within 2 hours.
- 5. Cooking Tip:
Canned yams or sweet potatoes may be substituted for fresh. One 24-oz. can whole sweet potatoes or yams, drained and rinsed, yields 1 1/2 cups mashed.
For a crisp bottom crust, bake any single or double crust pie in the lower third of the oven.