Mozzarella Stuffed Mushroom Caps
Stuffed portabella mushrooms make a hearty vegetarian entree. Serve with a side salad for a complete meal.
This recipe contains mushroom (portabella), shredded mozzarella cheese, tomatoes, lemons, fresh cilantro, soy sauce, olive oil, black peppercorns, fresh garlic
2 servings servings
Prep time: 15 min
Cook time: 20 min
- 1lb portabella mushroom caps
- 2 cups shredded low-fat mozzarella cheese
- 1 medium fresh tomato, chopped
- 2 tsp fresh lemon juice
- 2 tsp fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1 tsp low-sodium soy sauce
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1/8 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1. Preheat oven to 350F or outdoor grill to medium-high heat.
- 2. In a medium sized bowl combine finely chopped tomatoes and shredded mozzarella. Toss with 1/2 tsp of olive oil, black pepper, minced garlic and finely chopped cilantro.
- 3. Remove stems from mushroom caps and discard. Using a spoon create a mushroom bowl by scraping out some of the center of the mushrooms.
- 4. In a small bowl, mix the other 1/2 tsp olive oil, the lemon juice and soy sauce. Using a pastry brush, brush the mixture on both sides of the mushroom caps.
- 5. In the oven: place mushrooms cut side down on a foil lined baking sheet, bake ten minutes until mushrooms are soft, flip the mushrooms and then spoon the cheese and tomato mixture into the mushroom bowls. Return to the oven and cook for another two minutes or until the cheese is melted.
- . On the grill: place mushrooms cut side down for five minutes, then flip and grill for five more minutes. Spoon the cheese and tomato mixture into the mushroom bowls. Close the grill cover and cook for another two minutes. For easy clean up, lay a piece of aluminum foil down on the grill.