Slow-Cooker Smothered Chicken with Bacon & Onions
Sautéed onions and bacon bring their special flavors to this creamy slow-cooker chicken dish that's perfect on top of noodles.
This recipe contains bacon, onions, flour, black pepper, chicken stock (low sodium), chicken (thighs, boneless, skinless), noodles (egg), cream cheese (chive and onion), milk, garlic powder, parsley (fresh)
Prep time: 40 min
Cook time: 4 hr
- 8 oz. bacon, cut into 1 inch pieces
- 2 whole onions, cut lengthwise in half, then sliced crosswise
- 1/3 cup(s) flour
- 1/2 tsp. pepper
- 1 1/4 cup(s) fat free reduced sodium chicken broth
- 2 1/2 lb. bone in skinless chicken thighs
- 4 cup(s) egg noodles, uncooked
- 1 pkg(s) 8oz. cream cheese spread
- 2 tbsp. milk
- 1/2 tsp. garlic powder
- 2 tbsp. parsley, chopped
- 1. Cook and stir bacon in large skillet on medium heat until crisp. Remove bacon from skillet with slotted spoon; drain on paper towels. Drain all but 2 Tbsp. drippings from skillet. Add onions to reserved drippings; cook 15 to 18 min. or until golden brown, stirring occasionally and adding flour, pepper and half the bacon to skillet for the last minute. Whisk in broth until blended. (Onion mixture will be thick.)
- 2. Add chicken to slow cooker; cover with onion mixture. Cook on LOW 4 to 5 hours (or on HIGH 2 to 3 hours). About 15 min. before ready to serve, cook noodles as directed on package, omitting salt.
- 3. Drain noodles; place on platter. Top with chicken, reserving onion mixture in slow cooker. Mix cream cheese spread, milk and garlic powder until blended. Add to onion mixture; mix well. Spoon over chicken; top with parsley and remaining bacon.