Soy Spiced Chicken with Cucumber Summer Squash Salad and Basmati Rice
Chinese 5 Spice is such a great and unique spice blend that hits all the right notes. I like to make extra so I have left overs for lunch the next day, great for food prepping!
This recipe contains chicken (thighs), scallions, cucumbers, summer squash, garlic, cilantro, mint, crushed red pepper, ginger, soy sauce, mirin, rice vinegar, five spice powder, sesame oil, rice (basmati), oil, pepper, salt
Prep time: 15 min
Cook time: 40 min
- 1 lb. chicken thighs
- 4 whole scallion, thinly sliced
- 2 cucumber, julienned (matchsticks)
- 2 whole summer squash, julienned (matchsticks)
- 2 clove(s) garlic, minced
- 2 tbsp. cilantro, chopped
- 2 tbsp. mint, chopped
- 1/2 tsp. crushed red pepper
- 2 tsp. ginger, chopped
- 4 tbsp. soy sauce
- 4 tbsp. mirin
- 4 tbsp. rice vinegar
- 2 tbsp. sesame oil
- 1 cup(s) basmati rice
- 3 tbsp. oil
- 2 - 4 ds. pepper, to taste
- 2 - 4 ds. salt, to taste
- 1. In a medium bowl, marinate the chicken thighs with soy sauce, 5 spice, mirin, 2 tbsps of rice vinegar, 1 tbsp sesame oil and ginger for 30 minutes.
- 2. Meanwhile, cook rice according to package directions.
- 3. In a medium bowl combine julienned cucumber and summer squash, mint, cilantro, 2 tbsps of rice vinegar, crushed red pepper and 1 tbsp of sesame oil. Season with salt and pepper and set aside.
- 4. In a large skillet, heat oil over medium heat and add chicken thighs, reserving the marinade.
- 5. Cook about 5 minutes until well browned. Flip and cook the other side about 2-3 minutes. Add reserved marinade and 1/2 cup of water.
- 6. Continue to cook and reduce sauce for 5-10 minutes, until it coats the back of the spoon. Spoon sauce over chicken.
- 7. Serve each plate with cucumber summer squash salad, rice and chicken thighs. Enjoy!