Zesty Italian Style Meatball Subs
A quick and east favorite, done the Aidells way.
This recipe contains aidells meatballs (chicken), olive oil (extra virgin), onions, garlic (fresh), tomatoes (plum), basil (fresh), rolls (hoagie), cheese (provolone), sugar, salt, black pepper
Prep time: 10 min
Cook time: 20 min
- 12 oz. Aidells Chicken Meatballs
- 2 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 1 whole onion, chopped
- 2 clove(s) garlic, chopped
- 4 whole italian plum tomatoes
- 2 tbsp. basil, finely chopped
- 4 italian sandwich rolls, sliced horizontally
- 4 slice(s) provolone cheese, sliced
- sugar, to taste
- salt, to taste
- black pepper, to taste
- 1. In a large sauté pan, heat the oil. Add the onion and sauté 2-3 minutes until translucent. Add the garlic and sauté one minute. Add the tomatoes and bring to a simmer. Use the back of a spoon to break up the tomatoes as they cook. Simmer 5-8 minutes, until slightly thickened.
- 2. Add the meatballs, cover and cook 5 minutes, until the meatballs are heated through. Stir in the basil and season the sauce with salt, sugar and pepper, to taste.
- 3. To serve, lightly toast the sandwich rolls. Place 3-4 meatballs in each bun and top with sauce and cheese. Place the sandwiches under a preheated broiler for 1-2 minutes until the cheese is just melted. Serve warm.