Eggplant & Chickpea Stew
A tasty warm stew perfect for a cool day or night.
This recipe contains olive oil (extra virgin), garlic (fresh), onions, onions (yellow), eggplant, chickpeas, cumin, cinnamon (ground), coriander (ground), tomatoes (diced), salt, black pepper, cilantro (fresh)
4 - 6 Servings
Prep time: 10 min
Cook time: 1 hr 15 min
- 4 tsp. extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 3 clove(s) garlic, minced
- 1 whole yellow onion, diced
- 1 whole yellow onion, sliced
- 1 lb. eggplant, cubed
- 2 cup(s) chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1 tsp. ground cumin
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- 1 tsp. ground coriander
- 1 can(s) 28oz. diced tomatoes, reduced sodium
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. pepper
- 1/4 cup(s) cilantro, chopped
- 1. Heat 2 teaspoons olive oil in a large sauce pan over medium heat.
- 2. Add the diced onions and garlic and cook until onions are soft.
- 3. Stir in the eggplant, chickpeas, cumin, cinnamon, coriander, tomatoes, salt and pepper.
- 4. Increase heat to high and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low and cover the pot.
- 5. Cook the stew for 45 minutes to 1 hour, or until eggplant is very tender.
- 6. In the meantime, heat remaining 2 tablespoons olive oil and add onion slices.
- 7. Fry until golden and remove from heat.
- 8. When stew is finished, place in serving bowls and top with fried onions.