French Lentil & Squash Stew
An easy lentil soup with a little kick
This recipe contains green lentils, vegetable stock, onions, mustard seeds, curry powder, cinnamon, cayenne pepper, ginger (powder), cumin, butternut squash, lemon juice, sea salt
Prep time: 10 min
Cook time: 40 min
- 1 cup(s) french green lentils
- 4 cup(s) vegetable stock
- 1 whole onion, chopped
- 1/2 tsp. mustard seeds
- 1/2 tsp. curry
- 1/4 tsp. cinnamon
- 1/8 tsp. cayenne pepper
- 1/2 tsp. ginger
- 1/2 tsp. cumin
- 2 lb. butternut squash, peeled and diced
- 1 tbsp. lemon juice
- 1 pn. sea salt
- 1. Place the lentils and 2 cups of chicken stock in a pot and bring to a simmer. Cook until the lentils are tender, about 20 minutes.
- 2. Braise the onion in 1/2 cup stock until soft and translucent; add spices, the remaining 1-1/2 cups stock, and the diced squash. Cover and cook over medium heat until the squash is tender when pierced with a fork, about 15 minutes.
- 3. Stir in the lemon juice, cooked lentils, and salt to taste. Serve over Long Grain Wild Rice Blend.