Caramelized Onion and Goat Cheese Flatbread
This is where my love for the sweet, savory and tangy combination began, the prosciutto, caramelized onions and goat cheese PERFECTLY balance each other.
This recipe contains onions (yellow), prosciutto, cheese (goat), italian seasoning, sugar (brown), parsley (fresh), crushed red pepper, bread (flat), olive oil (extra virgin)
2 - 4 Servings
Prep time: < 5 min
Cook time: 1 hr
- 2 whole yellow onion, sliced
- 2 - 3 oz. prosciutto
- 3 - 4 oz. goat cheese
- 1 - 2 tsp. italian herb seasoning
- 1 tbsp. brown sugar
- 2 tbsp. parsley, chopped
- 1/2 tsp. crushed red pepper (optional)
- 4 flatbread, your choice
- 1/4 cup(s) extra virgin olive oil
- 1. In a large skillet over medium heat, add olive oil and onions. Cook for about 15 minutes, stirring when necessary (they should begin to caramelize at this point).
- 2. Lower heat and continue to cook for about 30 minutes, stirring occasionally. Volume should shrink to about 1/4 the original amount.
- 3. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- 4. Add brown sugar and season with Italian herb grinder seasoning (about 2 teaspoons).
- 5. Season with salt, pepper and crushed red pepper. Remove from heat.
- 6. Spread caramelized onion over entire flatbread(s). Tear prosciutto and crumble the goat cheese and arrange all over flatbread.
- 7. Bake in the oven about 10-15 minutes.
- 8. Remove from oven, garnish with parsley and serve.