Chocolate Chip Scones
Melt-in-your-mouth chocolate chip scones. Tender and moist inside with a slight crunch on the edges, these buttery scones are sure to please even the pickiest eaters!
This recipe contains flour (all-purpose), sugar (light brown), baking powder, cinnamon (ground), salt, butter (unsalted), heavy cream, eggs, vanilla extract, chocolate (semi-sweet, chips), sugar, sugar (powdered, confectioners)
Prep time: 20 min
Cook time: 25 min
- 2 cup(s) all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup(s) light brown sugar, packed
- 2 1/2 tsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 8 tbsp. unsalted butter, frozen
- 1/2 cup(s) heavy cream
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 cup(s) mini semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1 pn. coarse sugar
- 1 tbsp. confectioners sugar for topping after baking, optional
- 1. Preheat oven to 400°F (204°C). Adjust baking rack to the middle-low position. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat. Set aside.
- 2. In a large bowl, whisk the flour, brown sugar, baking powder, cinnamon, and salt. Grate the frozen butter. Toss the grated butter into the flour mixture and combine it with a pastry cutter, your fingers, or two knives until the mixture resembles coarse meal. Set aside.
- 3. In a small bowl, whisk the cream, egg, and vanilla together. Drizzle it over the flour mixture and then toss the mixture together with a rubber spatula until everything appears moistened. Slowly and gently fold in the mini chocolate chips. Try your best to not overwork the dough at any point. Dough will be a little wet. Work the dough into a ball with floured hands as best you can and transfer to the prepared baking pan. Press into a neat 8″ disc and cut into equal wedges with a very sharp knife. Top with a sprinkle of additional mini chocolate chips (optional) and coarse sugar.
- 4. Bake for 20-25 minutes or until lightly golden and cooked through. Remove from the oven and allow to cool for a few minutes. Sprinkle lightly with confectioners' sugar, if desired.