Bacon and Apple Donuts
The maple glaze on this delicious donut is a game changer!
This recipe contains XXXXX, milk, yeast (instant), butter, sugar, eggs, flour (all-purpose), salt (sea), bacon, apples, XXXXX, sugar (powdered, confectioners), maple syrup, water
Prep time: 40 min
Cook time: 2 hr 15 min
- FOR THE DONUTS
- 1 cup(s) whole milk, room temperature
- 1 1/2 tsp. instant yeast
- 5 tbsp. butter, room temperature
- 1/3 cup(s) sugar
- 1 egg, extra large
- 3 1/2 cup(s) all-purpose flour, divided
- 1 tsp. sea salt
- 6 slice(s) bacon, cooked and crumbled
- 1 1/2 cup(s) apples, diced
- FOR THE MAPLE GLAZE
- 4 cup(s) powdered sugar
- 1 cup(s) maple syrup
- water, as needed
- 1. Make the donuts: In a large bowl, combine milk, yeast, butter, sugar, and egg. Add half the flour and stir to combine. Add remaining flour and salt, stirring until a dough forms.
- 2. Pour dough onto a work surface and knead, 4 to 6 minutes. The dough will be sticky. Add bacon and apples and knead until they're well incorporated.
- 3. Place dough in a lightly oiled bowl, cover with plastic wrap, and ferment for 45 minutes. Uncover and turn onto a lightly floured surface. Fold the dough one-third from the bottom to the top of the dough, like you're folding a pamphlet, then fold the top edge to the bottom edge. Fold one-third of the dough from the right to the left, then fold the left edge to the right edge. Place back in oiled bowl and let ferment for 1 hour, or until doubled.
- 4. Lightly flour work surface and place the dough on top. Flour the top of the dough too, and use a rolling pin to roll the dough until it's 1/2-inch thick.
- 5. With a round cutter, cut out the donut rounds, making a hole in the center. Set donuts aside on a floured surface to proof for 30 minutes. Leave uncovered.
- 6. Preheat oil to between 350° and 365°. Gently lower 3 to 4 donuts into the hot oil. Fry the first side, 1 to 2 minutes, then use tongs or chopsticks to flip. Fry the other side about 30 seconds, or until lightly golden brown, then remove donuts from fryer and dry on a cooling rack placed over a sheet tray.
- 7. Make the maple glaze: Combine powdered sugar, maple syrup, and enough warm water to make a thin glaze. Dredge both sides of the donuts in glaze and set to dry.