Lemon & Herb Roasted Chicken
A tender, juicy lemon-herb roasted chicken.
This recipe contains butter, butter, garlic (fresh), rosemary leaves, thyme (dried), chicken (whole), lemons, onions, salt, black pepper, paprika
Prep time: 15 min
Cook time: 1 hr
- 3 tbsp. butter or ghee for mixture
- 1 - 2 tbsp. butter, additional
- 4 clove(s) garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tsp. dried rosemary
- 1 tsp. dried thyme
- 1 whole chicken, cleaned and dried about 4lbs
- 2 whole lemons, zest both
- 1 whole small onion, cut into wedges
- salt to taste
- pepper to taste
- paprika to taste
- 1. Preheat oven to 425º F
- 2. In a bowl, mix the butter or ghee, garlic, thyme, rosemary and zest from 2 lemons. Add a little salt and pepper.
- 3. Place chicken (patted dry) inside a roasting pan. Slice one of the lemons and place inside cavity along with the onion wedges.
- 4. Tie legs together (optional) with water-soaked twine
- 5. Rub the underneath side of the chicken with the butter/ghee and seasoning mixture you prepared in the bowl.(it is okay if it is lumpy) Place some under the breast skin if possible. Then rub the additional (un-herbed) butter all over the outside if the chicken.
- 6. Squeeze juice from the remaining lemon over the chicken, then sprinkle skin with salt, pepper and a little paprika. Generously sprinkle chicken all over with salt!
- 7. Roast in 425º F oven for about 1 hour (using a meat thermometer is highly recommended – when the temperature reaches 165º F, the chicken is cooked through) Remove from oven and let rest for 15 minutes before slicing and serving
- 8. IMPORTANT TIP:
If skin starts to darken too much while roasting, lightly place aluminum foil over the chicken and leave in place for the remainder of the cooking time