Margherita Penne Pasta
Margherita Penne Pasta made with fresh tomatoes, basil, and a cheesy milk based sauce is an easy recipe the whole family will love! I like how I can have this on the table in under 30 minutes! Many times the simplest recipes taste the best!
This recipe contains **_pasta (penne), unsalted butter, fresh thyme, salt (kosher), crushed red pepper, all-purpose flour, milk, black peppercorns, cheese (parmigiano-reggiano), tomatoes (grape), cheese (burrata), basil (fresh)
4 - 6 Servings
Prep time: 10 min
Cook time: 20 min
- 1 lb. penne pasta
- 2 tbsp. unsalted butter
- 1 tsp. fresh thyme leaves
- 1/2 tsp. kosher salt
- 1/4 tsp. red pepper flakes
- 2 tbsp. all-purpose flour
- 2 1/2 cup(s) whole milk
- 1/4 tsp. cracked pepper
- 2 oz. parmesan-reggiano, grated
- 2 cup(s) grape tomatoes, halved
- 12 - 15 whole fresh mozzarella balls
- 1/2 cup(s) fresh basil leaves, thinly sliced
- 1. Start your noodles first. Bring a large pot of water to a boil and add a tablespoon of kosher salt along with 1 lb of penne pasta. Boil according to the package directions for al dente pasta. About 10-11 minutes.
- 2. While the pasta is cooking, melt 2 tablespoons unsalted butter in a skillet over medium heat. Add 1 tablespoon of freshly minced garlic, 1 teaspoon of fresh thyme leaves, 1/2 teaspoon of kosher salt, and 1/4 teaspoon of hot pepper flakes. Cook, stirring, for about 30 seconds to a minute. The mixture will give off a wonderful aroma and then sprinkle with 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour. Whisk to form a paste. Slowly whisk in 2 1/2 cups whole milk.
- 3. Bring the milk mixture to a slow boil and then reduce the heat to mid-low and continue cooking, while whisking, until the sauce is smooth and thickened. About 5 minutes. Add 1/4 teaspoon freshly cracked black pepper (or white pepper if you prefer). Give it a taste and adjust the seasonings to your liking.
- 4. Once the sauce is thickened to your liking, remove the skillet from the heat and add 1/2 cup grated Parmesan-Reggiano cheese. Stir to melt and combine. When the pasta is done to your liking, drain it and return it to the pot. Pour the sauce over the pasta and stir to coat the pasta with the sauce.
- 5. Add 2 cups grape tomatoes (halved), 12-15 Mozzarella balls, and 1/2 cup thinly sliced basil leaves. Stir to combine and enjoy!
**TIP: Be sure to use fresh basil in this recipe! Dried basil tastes nothing like the fresh stuff and will ruin the end result. Trust me on this one!**