Skillet Chicken in Balsamic Caramelized Onion Cream Sauce
Tender skillet chicken in balsamic caramelized onion cream sauce. A few simple ingredients, and you’ve got a restaurant quality meal at home. And you won’t believe how easy it is to put this together!
This recipe contains chicken breasts (boneless skinless), salt, pepper, garlic powder, olive oil, onions, butter, fresh thyme, crushed red pepper, sugar, balsamic vinegar, chicken broth, heavy cream
Prep time: 10 min
Cook time: 30 min
- 4 whole boneless, skinless chicken breasts (or thighs)
- 1 - 2 ds. salt, to season chicken
- 1 - 2 ds. pepper, to season chicken
- 1/2 tsp. garlic powder
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- 1/2 cup(s) onion, finely chopped
- 2 tbsp. butter
- 1/2 tsp. fresh thyme
- 1 pn. red pepper flakes
- 1 tsp. sugar
- 2 tsp. balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 cup(s) chicken broth
- 1/2 cup(s) heavy cream
- 1. Preheat oven to 375ºF. Coat a 2-quart rectangular, round or oval baking dish with cooking spray. Cook rice.
- 2. In a large bowl, combine cooked rice, salsa and cumin. Spoon 2 cups of rice mixture into prepared baking dish and spread out to evenly cover bottom of dish.
- 3. In another large bowl, combine refried beans, corn, chili peppers and chili power. Using a rubber spatula, scrape bean mixture on top of rice layer and smooth out top.
- 4. Squeeze out any excess water from spinach or collard greens and then spread on top of bean layer; sprinkle with 6 Tbsp cheese. Top with remaining rice mixture and smooth out top; sprinkle with remaining cheese.
- 5. Place casserole on a large rimmed baking sheet to catch any spillage. Bake until heated through and cheese is browned and bubbling, about 30 minutes. Sprinkle with cilantro (if desired), cut into 6 pieces and serve.
- 6. *NOTES* Serving size: 1 piece
Leftover brown rice works well in this dish. Or save time by picking some up at your local Chinese restaurant.