Chili and corn bread are a match made in dinner heaven. But why make them separately when you can pull it off all in one pan? Meet the tamale pie: a flavor-packed chili on the bottom with cheesy, spicy corn bread baked on top.
This recipe contains XXXXX, olive oil, onions (white), garlic powder, taco seasoning, beef (ground), enchilada sauce, cheese (cheddar, shredded), XXXXX, cornmeal, flour (all-purpose), brown sugar, baking powder, salt, olive oil, milk, eggs, green chiles, cheese (cheddar, shredded), sour cream
Prep time: 40 min
Cook time: 50 min
- FOR THE CHILI
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 whole white onion, diced
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- 1 pkg(s) 1oz. taco seasoning
- 1 lb. ground beef
- 14 oz. enchilada sauce
- 1 cup(s) cheddar cheese, shredded
- FOR THE CORN BREAD
- 1/3 cup(s) coarse cornmeal
- 2/3 cup(s) all-purpose flour
- 1 tbsp. brown sugar
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- 1/3 cup(s) whole milk
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 4 oz. green chiles
- 4 oz. cheddar cheese, shredded
- 8 oz. sour cream (optional topping)
- 1. Preheat the oven to 350°F. Heat the olive oil in a large cast-iron skillet (or other ovenproof sauté pan) over medium heat.
- 2. When the oil is hot, add the onion and sauté until tender, 4 to 5 minutes. Add the garlic and cook until fragrant, 1 minute more. Stir in the taco seasoning.
- 3. Add the ground beef and cook until it’s well browned, 6 to 7 minutes. Add the enchilada sauce and bring to a simmer. Simmer until reduced slightly, 3 to 4 minutes. Remove the pan from the heat and add the cheese in an even layer. Set aside.
- 4. In a large bowl, whisk the cornmeal with the flour, brown sugar, baking powder and salt to combine. In a medium bowl, whisk the oil with the milk and egg to combine. Add the milk mixture to the flour mixture and mix to combine. Stir in the chiles.
- 5. Pour the corn-bread batter on top of the chili in the pan and spread gently to coat evenly. Finish with an even layer of cheese.
- 6. Bake the tamale pie until the corn bread is baked through and the chili is bubbly, 25 to 30 minutes. Cool 15 minutes before serving warm.