Broccoli and Cheese Soup
A creamy, delicious broccoli and cheese soup!
This recipe contains butter, onions, butter, flour, half & half, chicken stock (unsalted), fresh broccoli, carrots, nutmeg, cheese (cheddar, sharp, shredded), salt, pepper
Prep time: 15 min
Cook time: 30 min
- 1 tbsp. butter, melted
- 1/2 whole medium onion, chopped
- 1/4 cup(s) butter, melted
- 1/4 cup(s) flour
- 2 cup(s) half and half
- 2 cup(s) unsalted chicken stock
- 1/2 lb. fresh broccoli-appox 1 cup
- 1 cup(s) carrot, julienned
- 1/4 tsp. nutmeg
- 12 oz. sharp cheddar cheese, grated
- 1 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. pepper
- 1. Saute the onion in 1 tablespoon melted butter and set aside. In a large pot whisk together the melted butter and flour over medium heat for about 3-4 minutes.
- 2. Slowly whisk in the half and half and chicken stock. Let it simmer for about 20 minutes.
- 3. Add the broccoli, carrots, and onions. Let them simmer on medium low for about 25 minutes until the broccoli and carrots are tender.
- 4. Add nutmeg, salt and pepper and sharp cheddar cheese. Let the cheese melt and then serve. For a smoother soup puree it in a blender... but I love the chunks!