Southwestern Brown Rice Stuffed Bell Peppers
If your family likes stuffed peppers, they’ll simply love the way this recipe brings together brown rice, spices and cheese.
This recipe contains rice (brown), butter, bell peppers (red), corn (fresh), olive oil, onions, garlic (fresh), chili powder, cumin (ground), tomatoes, beans (black), cilantro (fresh), limes, salt, black pepper, cheese (monterey jack, shredded)
Prep time: 15 min
Cook time: 30 min
- 1 cup(s) whole grain brown rice
- 1 tbsp. butter
- 6 - 8 whole red bell pepper, tops cut off and cored
- 2 whole ears corn on the cob
- 1/4 cup(s) olive oil
- 1 whole onion, diced small
- 3 clove(s) garlic, minced
- 1 tsp. chili powder
- 1 tsp. cumin
- 1 whole tomato, diced small
- 1 can(s) 14oz. black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1/2 cup(s) cilantro, chopped
- 1 whole lime, juiced
- 2 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. black pepper
- 4 oz. monterey jack cheese, shredded
- 1. Preheat oven to 350°F.
- 2. Cook rice with 1 tablespoon butter according to package instructions.
- 3. While rice is cooking. Grill hollowed out peppers and ears of corn (wrapped in foil) on preheated outdoor grill until lightly charred and softened. Set aside.
- 4. In large sauté pan heat olive oil until hot. Add onion and garlic and sauté until onion has softened and lightly browned. Season with 1 teaspoon chili powder and 1 teaspoon cumin. Mix well. Add corn, tomato and black beans. Cook until well combined and mixture is hot.
- 5. When rice is done, add to vegetable mixture with cilantro, lime juice, salt and pepper. Mix well
- 6. Place peppers in a baking dish and fill with rice and vegetable mixture.
- 7. Top each pepper with cheese.
- 8. Bake for about 10–15 minutes until cheese melts and lightly browns.
- 9. Remove from oven, and serve.