Slow Cooker Quinoa, Chicken and Kale Soup
This soup is loaded with nutrition and you get plenty of protein from the chicken, quinoa, and kale. It’s so hearty and filling and amazingly delicious, that it’s hard to believe it’s actually good for you.
This recipe contains chicken breasts (boneless skinless), onions (yellow), celery, carrots, fresh garlic, olive oil (extra virgin), quinoa, thyme (dried), rosemary, chicken stock (low sodium), salt, pepper, kale, fresh parsley, lemons, cheese (parmesan, shredded), butter
Prep time: 10 min
Cook time: 5 hr +
- 1 1/4 cup(s) boneless skinless chicken breast
- 1 1/4 cup(s) yellow onion, chopped
- 1 cup(s) celery, chopped
- 1 cup(s) carrots, chopped
- 4 clove(s) garlic, minced
- 2 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 3/4 cup(s) quinoa, dry
- 1/2 tsp. thyme
- 1/2 tsp. rosemary, crushed
- 4 can(s) 14.5oz. low sodium chicken broth
- 1 pn. salt, to taste
- 1 pn. pepper, to taste
- 4 cup(s) kale
- 3 tbsp. parsley, chopped
- 2 tbsp. fresh lemon juice
- 1 pn. parmesan cheese, for serving
- 2 tbsp. butter
- 1. Add chicken to a 6 or 7 quart slow cooker, then add onions, carrots, celery, butter, and garlic, then drizzle with olive oil. Add quinoa (for a more firm textured quinoa add during last 30 minutes to 1 hour of cooking, per reviewers comments), thyme, rosemary and pour in chicken broth. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Cover and cook on HIGH 3 1/2 - 4 hours or LOW 7 - 8 hours.
- 2. Remove chicken, let rest 10 minutes then cut into bite size pieces and return to soup. Meanwhile, add in beans, kale, parsley and lemon juice, then cover and continue to cook on HIGH heat another 10 - 20 minutes until kale has reached desired doneness. Serve warm topped with parmesan cheese.