Raspberry-Lemon Bread Pudding
This easy-to-make bread pudding can be baked in a coffee cup and enjoyed for brunch. For little and big kids: Let them measure the ingredients. For big kids: Let them whisk together the eggs and sugar.
This recipe contains bread (sourdough), unsalted butter, sugar, eggs, lemons, vanilla extract, salt, half & half, raspberries
Prep time: 1 hr
Cook time: 1 hr
- 4 cup(s) 1/2-inch crustless cubes of sourdough bread
- 4 tbsp. unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup(s) plus 1 tablespoon sugar
- 4 large eggs
- 2 tsp. lightly packed finely grated lemon zest (from about 2 large lemons)
- 1/2 tsp. pure vanilla extract
- fine salt
- 1 1/2 cup(s) half-and-half
- 1 1/2 cup(s) raspberries
- 1. Special equipment:
Six 8-ounce ramekins or ovenproof coffee mugs 1 large roasting pan
- 2. Position an oven rack in the center of the oven, and preheat to 375 degrees F.
- 3. Spread the bread on a baking sheet, and bake until crispy and dried out, about 10 minutes. Let cool completely.
- 4. Meanwhile, melt the butter in a small skillet over medium heat, and cook until it starts to bubble and foam, about 5 minutes.
- 5. Continue cooking, stirring constantly, until the foam subsides and brown specks start to appear, 1 to 2 minutes.
- 6. Transfer the browned butter to a small bowl, scraping the brown bits from the bottom of the skillet, and let cool slightly.
- 7. Whisk together 1/2 cup of the sugar, the eggs, lemon zest, vanilla and salt in a large bowl until the mixture is pale and thick.
- 8. Whisk in the half-and-half and 3 tablespoons of the browned butter until combined.
- 9. Stir in the bread and raspberries, and let the mixture sit for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- 10. Brush the inside of six 8-ounce ramekins with the remaining browned butter, and coat with the remaining 1 tablespoon sugar, tapping out any excess.
- 11. Divide the bread pudding mixture evenly among the ramekins.
- 12. Set the ramekins in a large roasting pan, and carefully fill the pan with 1/2 inch of hot water.
- 13. Bake until the custard is just set and the tops are lightly golden brown in spots, about 45 minutes, rotating the pan once halfway through.
- 14. Let cool for 10 minutes before serving.