Hot Dogs Topped with Caramelized Onions and Roasted Peppers
I love caramelized onions so of course I had to top my dog with it!
This recipe contains yellow onions, brown sugar, thyme, hot dogs (all beef), hot dog buns, bell peppers (red), cheese (gruyere, shredded), olive oil (extra virgin), salt,
6 - 8 Servings
Prep time: 10 min
Cook time: 30 min
- 1 whole yellow onion
- 1 tbsp. brown sugar
- 2 tsp. thyme
- 1 pkg(s) hot dogs
- 1 pkg(s) hot dog buns
- 1 cup(s) red bell pepper
- 1 cup(s) gruyere cheese
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- 1. Heat skillet over medium heat. Slice onions into 1/2 inch thick slices.
- 2. Add olive oil and onions to skillet. Cook for about 30 minutes, stirring occasionally allowing them to caramelize.
- 3. Meanwhile, preheat grill to medium.
- 4. Add fresh thyme and brown sugar to onions and lower heat. Continue to cook for 5-10 minutes. Season with salt.
- 5. Grill hot dogs and red bell pepper 5-10 minutes.
- 6. Remove bell peppers and slice.
- 7. Place hot dogs in buns and top with hot caramelized onions, shredded gruyere cheese (onions should melt cheese) and roasted red peppers. Enjoy!