Chicken and Chorizo Breakfast Burrito
Breakfast Burrito with chicken and sausage.
This recipe contains chicken breasts (boneless skinless), pancake mix, eggs, milk, vegetable oil, sausage (chorizo), onions, bell peppers (green), salt, black pepper, cheese (cheddar, sharp, shredded), hot sauce
Prep time: 15 min
Cook time: 10 min
- 1 1/2 lb. PERDUE boneless, skinless chicken breast
- 1 cup(s) pancake baking mix
- 9 whole large eggs
- 1 cup(s) milk
- 1 tbsp. vegetable oil
- 1/2 lb. mexican style chorizo sausage, casings removed
- 1/2 cup(s) chopped onion
- 1/2 cup(s) green pepper
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1/8 tsp. black pepper
- 1 oz. sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 tbsp. hot sauce, for serving
- 1. In a bowl, whisk together pancake mix, 1 egg and milk until smooth. Batter should be thin. Heat a large non-stick pan over medium-low heat. Spray with cooking spray and add about 1/4 cup of batter. Swirl the batter in a large circle. Cook the pancake until the top bubbles, the bottom is set and the edges start to curl. Flip the pancake and cook a few seconds more. Turn out onto a plate and repeat until all the batter is gone. Keep warm until ready to use.
- 2. In the same non-stick skillet, heat the vegetable oil over medium heat. Add the chicken, season with 1/4 teaspoon salt and 1/8 teaspoon black pepper. Saute 4 to 5 minutes on each side until done. Chicken is done when a meat thermometer inserted in the center reaches 170 degrees F. Transfer chicken breasts to a plate. When cool enough to handle, chop into 1-inch pieces To the same skillet, add the chorizo and saute until crumbly and almost cooked through, about 4 to 5 minutes. Add the onion and green pepper. Cook for another 3 to 4 minutes. Return the chopped chicken and heat through 1 to 2 minutes more.
- 3. In a bowl, whisk together the remaining 8 eggs, salt and black pepper. Pour the egg mixture over the chicken and sausage. Cook over low heat, stirring occasionally, until eggs are cooked through.
- 4. To serve, place a pancake on a plate. Divide the chicken mixture over the 4 pancakes. Sprinkle with shredded cheddar cheese and wrap them up. Serve with hot sauce if desired.
Tip: This recipe makes about 12 pancakes. Use what you need and then freeze the rest. Once cooled, stack each pancake between layers of parchment paper or waxed paper. Place in a resealable plastic bag and freeze for up to 3 months.