Mac-n-Smoked Gouda with Cauliflower
Kids won't object to eating their veggies when you serve up this cheesy dish. Cauliflower lends great texture, but the creamy smoked Gouda still takes center stage.
This recipe contains elbow macaroni, cauliflower, olive oil (extra virgin), unsalted butter, yellow onions, all-purpose flour, cayenne pepper, paprika, milk, chicken stock, gouda cheese (smoked), dijon mustard, sea salt, black pepper (cracked)
Prep time: 10 min
Cook time: 25 min
- 1 lb. elbow macaroni
- 1 whole cauliflower, cut into florets
- 1 tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tbsp. unsalted butter
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 3 tbsp. all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp. cayenne pepper
- 1 tsp. paprika
- 3 cup(s) whole milk
- 1 cup(s) chicken stock
- 3 cup(s) smoked gouda, shredded
- 1 tbsp. dijon mustard
- coarse salt
- cracked pepper
- 1. Add pasta to a pot of boiling salted water and cook for 5 minutes.
- 2. Add the cauliflower and cook for 3 minutes more or until pasta is cooked al dente and the florets are just tender. Drain and return to pot.
- 3. In a sauce pot over medium to low heat, add the extra-virgin olive oil and heat with the butter until it melts.
- 4. Add the onions and cook for 3 to 5 minutes to sweat them out.
- 5. Raise the heat a bit, then whisk in the flour, cayenne, and paprika. Whisk together until the roux bubbles up, then cook for 1 minute more.
- 6. Whisk in the milk and stock and raise the heat a bit higher to bring the sauce to a quick boil, then reduce the heat back to a simmer and cook until the sauce thickens, 3 to 5 minutes.
- 7. Add the cheese, mustard and season the sauce with salt and pepper.
- 8. Pour over the cauliflower and cooked pasta and toss to combine. Adjust the seasonings, transfer to a large platter, and serve.