This Italian classic is so good and easy to make. Great with a side of pasta, greens or even in a sandwich.
This recipe contains eggplant, flour (all-purpose), Italian seasoned bread crumbs, cheese (parmesan), eggs, salt, marinara sauce, tomatoes (sun dried), cheese (mozzarella, shredded), olive oil
Prep time: 10 min
Cook time: 30 min
- 1 whole large eggplant, 1/2 inch slices
- 1/2 cup(s) flour
- 3/4 cup(s) italian bread crumbs
- 1 oz. parmesan cheese
- 2 eggs
- 2 tsp. salt
- 8 oz. marinara sauce
- 1/4 cup(s) sun-dried tomatoes, chopped
- 2 oz. mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 1/2 cup(s) olive oil
- 1. In a large heavy duty skillet, heat olive oil over medium heat.
- 2. Create a breading station using 3 shallow bowls, fill one with flour, one with eggs and 1/4 cup of water and the last bowl with bread crumbs, salt and parmesan cheese.
- 3. In batches, dredge eggplant slices in flour, then egg-wash, and then bread crumbs. Cook egg plant slices in heated oil until golden brown on both sides.
- 4. Allow to cool on a wire rack.
- 5. Combine sun-dried tomatoes with marinara sauce.
- 6. In an oven safe dish, ladle a little marinara sauce. Layer eggplant and marinara sauce. Top with mozzarella cheese and place under broiler just until cheese begins to bubble.
- 7. Remove from broiler and top with parmesan cheese.