Chicken and Dumplings
Your favorite chicken dish now has a healthier profile, thanks to low-fat milk and whole-wheat white flour!
This recipe contains olive oil (extra virgin), chicken breasts, salt (kosher), black pepper (cracked), butternut squash, celery, yellow onions, chicken stock (low sodium), fresh dill, white whole wheat flour, baking soda, unsalted butter, milk (low fat), peas (green, frozen)
Prep time: 20 min
Cook time: 30 min
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1-inch chunks
- kosher salt
- freshly ground black pepper
- 20-ounce butternut squash, peeled and diced
- 4 stalks celery, finely chopped
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 2 cups lower-sodium chicken broth
- 2 sprigs dill plus 2 tablespoons chopped fresh dill
- 1/2 cup white whole wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 tablespoon cold unsalted butter, cut up
- 1/4 cup lowfat (1-percent) milk
- 1 cup frozen peas, thawed
- 1. Heat the oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat until hot. Sprinkle the chicken with 1/4 teaspoon each salt and pepper and add to the hot oil.
- 2. Cook, stirring, until the chicken is no longer pink on the outside but is not cooked through.
- 3. Transfer to a bowl with a slotted spoon, reserving the oil in the pan.
- 4. Stir in the squash, celery and onions and cook, stirring occasionally, until the onions are soft.
- 5. Add the broth, dill sprigs and 3 cups water. Bring to a boil, and then reduce the heat to medium to maintain a steady simmer.
- 6. Simmer until a knife easily pierces through the squash, about 15 minutes.
- 7. Meanwhile, whisk together the flour, baking soda, 1/4 teaspoon salt and 1/8 teaspoon pepper in a small bowl.
- 8. With your fingertips, cut the butter into the flour until the mixture forms coarse crumbs. Stir in the milk just until a dough forms.
- 9. Stir the chicken and peas into the broth and bring to a simmer.
- 10. Drop the dough into the simmering broth by teaspoons, spacing them evenly to make about 16 dumplings.
- 11. Cover and simmer on medium low for 5 minutes. Uncover and simmer until the dumplings are cooked through, about 3 minutes.
- 12. Discard the dill sprigs. Top with chopped dill and serve.