Skillet Sausage with Peppers and Onions
Sausages with peppers, onions and mushrooms.
This recipe contains sausage (chicken, links), olive oil, bell peppers (green), bell peppers (red), mushrooms, garlic (fresh), onions (white), tomato sauce, oregano (dried), wine (marsala), salt, black pepper
Prep time: 10 min
Cook time: 30 min
- 16 oz. pork, chicken, or turkey sausage
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 whole green bell pepper, cut into strips
- 2 whole red, yellow or orange peppers, cut into strips
- 1/2 lb. mushrooms, sliced
- 3 clove(s) garlic, minced
- 1 whole large onion, sliced
- 15 oz. tomato sauce
- 1 tbsp. dried oregano
- 1/2 cup(s) marsala wine
- 2 - 3 ds. salt to taste
- 2 - 3 ds. pepper, to taste
- 1. Brown the sausages in olive oil over medium heat in a large pan with a lid. Cook for several minutes, turning occasionally so they brown on all sides. When the sausages are browned remove them from the skillet. (They don’t have to be cooked through.)
- 2. Increase the heat to high, add another tbsp. of oil, and add onions and peppers. Toss in oil and allow to sear, stirring occasionally. Add garlic and cook for one more minute.
- 3. Add Marasala wine to pan and scrape the bottom of the pan with a wooden spoon to loosen up the blackened bits. Let the wine reduce by half.
- 4. Add tomatoes, oregano and salt and pepper. Return the sausages to the pan. Bring to a simmer and reduce heat to low. Cover the pan and simmer for 20 minutes or until sausages are cooked through.
- 5. Serve over polenta, pasta, potatoes, or on a roll.