You know those mall pretzels; the buttery, chewy, pillows of pretzel dough that melt in your mouth? These are it! They are by far one of our favorite and are easy to make.
This recipe contains milk, dry yeast, brown sugar, unsalted butter, flour, salt, baking soda, water, salt (kosher), butter
Prep time: 1 hr +
Cook time: 10 min
- 1 cup(s) milk
- 1 pkg(s) active dry yeast
- 3 tbsp. brown sugar
- 2 tbsp. unsalted butter, melted
- 2 1/2 cup(s) flour
- 1 tsp. salt
- 2 tbsp. baking soda
- 1 1/2 cup(s) water, warm
- coarse salt, to top pretzels
- 2 tbsp. butter, melted in a small bowl to brush on top of pretzels
- 1. Warm the milk in the microwave or on the stove top for about one minute to 110º. If it’s too hot it will kill the yeast. You should be able to comfortably keep your finger in it.
Stir in the yeast and let it sit for about 3 minutes. Add the butter and sugar. Add the flour 1 cup at a time and then add the salt.
Knead the dough for about 10 minutes with a stand mixer, or by hand until smooth and elastic. Sprinkle with flour as you knead if the dough is too sticky. Place the dough in a greased bowl turning once and cover with plastic wrap. Let it rise for 1 hour in a moist, warm place until doubled in size. Remove from warmed oven.
****TIP: preheat your oven on the lowest “warm” setting while you are mixing the dough. Turn it off before you begin kneading the dough. Place your covered dough in the warm oven for 1 hour****
- 2. Preheat the oven to 400º. Combine the warm water and baking soda in a bowl and set aside. Punch down dough and turn it out on to a lightly floured surface.
Divide into 12 - 16 equal pieces. Roll the dough all out into logs as thin as you can. Shape each piece of the dough into pretzel shapes (see the video above), then dip them in the baking soda water. Place on a greased baking sheet and sprinkle with coarse salt. Bake for 7-11 minutes or until browned. While hot, brush each pretzel with melted butter.