Spanish Steamed Mussels
This recipe contains olive oil (extra virgin), onions (yellow), garlic (minced), beans (garbanzo), tomatoes (diced), vegetable broth, mussels, parsley (fresh), lemons
- 1 tbsp. Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1/2 cup(s) onion
- 2 tsp. minced garlic
- 1 cup(s) garbanzo beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup(s) diced tomatoes
- 3/4 cup(s) vegetable broth
- 2 lb. mussels, scrubbed and debearded
- 1/4 cup(s) parsley
- 1 whole lemon, optional
- 1. In a Dutch oven or large deep skillet heat oil over medium-high heat. Add onion and garlic; cook and stir 5 to 8 minutes or until softened. Add garbanzo beans, tomatoes and broth; bring to boiling. cook and stir 2 to 4 minutes.
- 2. Add mussels to pot; stir gently to coat. Cover and simmer 5 to 8 minutes or until mussels open fully. (Discard and mussels that do not open)
- 3. Spoon mussels and cooking liquid into individual bowls, sprinkle with parsley, and serve with lemon wedges (if desired).