Breakfast Twice Baked Sweet Potatoes
Have the taste of fall all year round! Flavorful breakfast sausage in twice baked sweet potatoes and topped with an over easy egg.
This recipe contains sweet potatoes, pork sausage, milk, cheese (mozzarella, shredded), eggs, , salt, pepper, parsley (fresh),
Prep time: 25 min
Cook time: 1 hr
- 4 whole sweet potatoes, large and wide
- 12 oz. pork breakfast sausage roll (may sub soy chorizo 8-10oz)
- 1/4 cup(s) milk
- 1/2 cup(s) mozzarella, shredded or cheese of your choice
- 8 eggs, large
- 1 pn. pinch of salt, or more to taste
- 1 pn. pinch of pepper, or more to taste
- 1 tbsp. fresh parsley, chopped (optional)
- 1 whole avocado, sliced for topping (optional)
- 1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- 2. Clean sweet potatoes and place on prepared baking sheet. With a fork, poke 4-6 holes evenly around each sweet potato. Bake sweet potatoes for 40-50 minutes or until soft and skins are slightly wrinkled.
- 3. While sweet potatoes cook, brown and crumble sausage in a large skillet over medium heat for 5-8 minutes or until no longer pink. Reserve 1-2 tablespoons of sausage grease (to taste) and drain the rest. Set sausage aside. When sweet potatoes are done cooking, remove from oven and let cool for 5-10 minutes. Reduce oven temp to 375 degrees F.
- 4. When cool enough to handle, slice potatoes down the side, taking care to make sure the potatoes halves will be able to sit upright on their own.
Using a spoon, scoop out the insides of sweet potatoes and place them in a large bowl, leaving 1/4 to 1/2 inch of potato flesh around the edges (so that the sweet potatoes look like a bowl). Place potato skins back on the baking sheet and set aside for now.
- 5. Mash the removed sweet potato flesh, either with a potato masher, 2 forks, or with a hand mixer on low speed. Remove any pieces of sweet potato that are too tough or not cooked through enough. Pour milk and sausage grease in with mashed sweet potatoes, then stir until milk and grease are absorbed. Add cheese and sausage to bowl and fold in with sweet potato until combined.
- 6. Using a large spoon, scoop out sausage sweet potato mix and spread within prepared sweet potato skins. When sweet potato skins are full, use the back of a spoon to create a well within the filling, large and deep enough to hold an egg.
- 7. Crack 1 egg within each well of the sweet potato skins. It's okay if some of the egg white spills over. Place prepared sweet potatoes back in the oven and bake for another 20-25 minutes or until egg whites are opaque. Garnish potato skins with salt, pepper, and parsley, to taste. Serve immediately.