Sweet Potato Pie with Brown Sugar Bourbon Sauce
Brown sugar bourbon sauce tops this traditional sweet potato pie.
This recipe contains XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX, pie crust pastry (roll out), sugar (light brown), sugar, nutmeg, ginger (ground), salt, butter, sweet potatoes, eggs, milk, chocolate (white), XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX, butter, sugar (light brown), cinnamon, whisky (bourbon), chocolate (white)
Prep time: 10 min
Cook time: 50 min
- FOR THE PIE
- 1 pkg(s) prepared pastry for one-crust 9-inch pie
- 1/2 cup(s) light brown sugar, firmly packed
- 1/4 cup(s) sugar
- 1/4 tsp. nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp. ground ginger
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 2 tbsp. butter
- 1 1/2 cup(s) sweet potatoes or yams, cooked and mashed
- 3 eggs
- 3/4 cup(s) milk
- 4 oz. white chocolate, coarsely chopped
- FOR THE SAUCE
- 1 cup(s) butter
- 1 1/4 cup(s) light brown sugar
- 1/8 tsp. cinnamon
- 1/4 cup(s) bourbon or dark rum
- white chocolate, for garnish
- 1. Pie:
Preheat oven to 425°F. Line a 9-inch pie plate with pastry. Trim and crimp edge as desired; set aside.
- 2. In a mixing bowl, combine sugars, nutmeg, ginger and salt. Add butter, yams and eggs. Beat lightly just until combined. Add milk, stirring well. Stir in white chocolate.
- 3. Pour filling into pastry shell. To prevent overbrowning, cover edge of the pie with foil.
- 4. Bake for 20 minutes. Remove foil. Lower oven temperature to 350°F; bake 20 minutes longer, or until knife inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool on wire rack for 1 to 2 hours to room temperature before slicing, or cool and refrigerate until ready to serve.
- 5. Sauce:
In a medium saucepan over medium heat, add butter and sugar. Whisk continuously for 4 to 5 minutes, or until the butter is melted and the sugar is dissolved. Slowly whisk in cream, cinnamon and bourbon. Serve immediately.
- 6. To make the white chocolate curls, carefully draw a vegetable peeler across the broad surface of a bar of white chocolate. This works best if the chocolate is at room temperature.
- 7. To serve, garnish the pie with white chocolate curls and serve with brown sugar bourbon sauce.
- 8. Cooking Tip:
Canned yams or sweet potatoes may be substituted for fresh. One (24 oz.) can of whole sweet potatoes or yams, drained and rinsed, yields 1 1/2 cups mashed.
For a crisp bottom crust, bake any single or double crust pie in the lower third of the oven. This will keep the rim or top crust from overbrowning, too.