Fast Track Gingerbread Cookies
You’re only steps away from making homemade gingerbread cookies with this Fast Track Gingerbread Cookie recipe. No need to measure out brown sugar or chill the cookie dough!
This recipe contains sugar (dark brown), butter (unsalted), molasses, eggs, flour (all-purpose), cinnamon (ground), ginger (ground), allspice, baking soda, salt, XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX, sugar (powdered, confectioners), meringue powder, water, food color (green)
Prep time: 15 min
Cook time: 10 min
- 1 lb. dark brown sugar
- 1 1/2 cup(s) unsalted butter, softened
- 1/3 cup(s) molasses
- 2 eggs, large room temperature
- 6 cup(s) all-purpose flour
- 2 tbsp. ground cinnamon
- 2 tbsp. ground ginger
- 1 1/2 tsp. allspice
- 1 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- 1 tsp. salt
- royal icing (recipe below)
- 2 cup(s) powdered sugar
- 1 1/2 tbsp. meringue powder
- 3 tbsp. warm water
- assorted food coloring
- 1. Preheat oven to 375°F. Line 3 cookie sheets with parchment paper.
- 2. Combine sugar and butter in a large mixing bowl with an electric mixer; add molasses. Add eggs, one at a time, scraping down sides with each addition.
- 3. In another large bowl, whisk together all dry ingredients. Slowly add dry ingredients to the brown sugar mixture by hand, until a thick dough forms. Divide dough into four parts, wrapping each with plastic wrap.
- 4. On a lightly floured surface, roll out one portion of dough to 1/4-inch thickness. Cut out shapes with cookie cutters and place on a baking sheet, 1 inch apart.
- 5. Bake 8 to 10 minutes. Cool completely before removing cookies from pan. Repeat for the rest of the dough.
- 6. Prepare the Royal Icing recipe and use to decorate the cookies as desired. Dough can be frozen up to 3 months.
- 7. ICING:
In a bowl, with mixer at medium speed, beat confectioners' sugar, meringue powder and warm water until stiff peaks form, about 5 to 7 minutes. If icing is too thick, add a couple of drops of water. If icing is too thin, add additional confectioners' sugar; continue beating until desired consistency.
Tint icing with desired food coloring. Using pastry bag with decorator tip, decorate as desired.
- 8. TIPS:
Meringue powder is available in specialty stores wherever cake-decorating equipment is sold.
Use icing immediately. Keep covered with a damp cloth or plastic wrap to prevent drying.