Juicy Herb Roasted Chicken and Vegetables
Roasted chicken will quickly become a family favorite! Cooked to perfection, this delicious chicken is moist and full of flavor with crispy skin.
*Helpful tip: Save the leftover carcass to make chicken stock.
This recipe contains chicken (whole), butter, thyme (fresh), rosemary (fresh), lemons, garlic (fresh), salt (kosher), black pepper, carrots, fennel bulb, radishes, olive oil (extra virgin)
6 - 8 Servings
Prep time: 30 min
Cook time: 1 hr 30 min
- 6 lb. lbs whole chicken
- 1/2 cup(s) butter (1 stick), room temperature
- 1 whole bunch fresh thyme
- 1 whole bunch fresh rosemary
- 1 whole lemon, zest and cut in half
- 1 whole bulb of garlic
- 1 pn. kosher salt
- 1 pn. black pepper
- 4 whole carrots, coarsely chopped
- 1 whole fennel bulb, cut into wedges
- 1 whole bunch red radishes
- 1 ds. extra virgin olive oil
- 1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- 2. Rinse chicken and pat dry. Remove giblets and from cavity.
- 3. Mince 1 teaspoon of garlic, 2 teaspoons of fresh thyme and 2 teaspoons of fresh rosemary.
- 4. In a small bowl mix together butter, lemon zest, minced garlic, minced thyme, and rosemary.
- 5. In a roasting pan, toss carrots, fennel, radishes, 2-3 sprigs of thyme and rosemary in olive oil. Season with salt and pepper.
- 6. Gently apply generous amounts of butter mixture underneath chicken skin, with concentrated amounts over breasts. This will create a basting effect while roasting.
- 7. Place the chicken directly over vegetables or roasting rack if you have one. Tie legs together with twine and tuck wings in for even cooking.
- 8. Stuff chicken cavity with lemon halves, remaining garlic and fresh herbs.
- 9. Drizzle olive oil over chicken and generously season with salt and pepper.
- 10. Roast until chicken reaches an internal temperature 165 degrees F (about 1 1/2 hours). Insert an instant-read thermometer into the thickest part of the thigh, away from the bone. Remove from oven and allow to rest about 15-20 minutes.
- 11. Serve with vegetable and pan juices. Enjoy!