Smothered Pork Chops
Easy pork chop dinner smothered in saucy gravy.
This recipe contains pork chops (bone in), salt (kosher), pepper, flour (all-purpose), garlic powder, chili powder, vegetable oil, vegetable oil, onions (yellow), butter, chicken stock (low sodium), heavy cream, parsley (fresh)
Prep time: 15 min
Cook time: 50 min
- 4 whole bone-in pork chops, thick
- kosher salt
- ground pepper
- 1 cup(s) all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp. garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp. chili powder
- 1/4 cup(s) vegetable oil
- 3 tbsp. vegetable oil, divided
- 2 whole yellow onions, thinly sliced
- 2 tbsp. butter
- 1 1/2 cup(s) low-sodium chicken broth
- 1/4 cup(s) heavy cream
- parsley, chopped for garnish
- 1. Season pork chops all over with salt and pepper.
- 2. In a shallow dish, mix together flour with garlic powder and chili powder. Coat pork chops in flour, shaking off excess. Reserve 2 tablespoons seasoned flour.
- 3. In a large, heavy skillet over medium heat, heat oil until shimmering. In batches, cook pork chops until golden, 4-5 minutes per side. Transfer to plate. Wipe out skillet.
- 4. Reduce heat to medium low, pour in remaining oil, and add onions. Season with more salt and pepper and cook until very soft and slightly caramelized, 15-20 minutes. Add butter and let melt, then sprinkle in reserved flour. Cook until flour is no longer raw, about a minute. Stir in chicken broth and heavy cream and bring to a simmer, until sauce begins to thicken, about 5 minutes.
- 5. Return pork chops to skillet and cook until pork is cooked through, about 10 minutes more. Garnish with parsley.