Orzo Salad with Acorn Squash and Garbanzo Beans
I made this Orzo Salad with Acorn Squash and Garbanzo Beans in under 30 minutes and it was delicious! After a 30 minute cooking sprint I need a little bubbly to accompany my lunch, and it paired beautifully! TIP: When chopping up all your veggies for this you want them all to be about the same size as the Orzo.
This recipe contains XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX, pasta (orzo), chicken broth, olive oil, onions (yellow), fresh garlic, acorn squash, chickpeas, cheese (goat), parsley (fresh), XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX, capers, olives (kalamata), balsamic vinegar, olive oil, xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, pepper
Prep time: 15 min
Cook time: 20 min
- 3/4 cup(s) orzo
- 2 cup(s) chicken broth or water
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 whole yellow onion, finely chopped
- 2 clove(s) garlic clove, very finely chopped
- 1/2 whole acorn squash, finely chopped
- 1 cup(s) chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 2 tbsp. goat cheese or feta
- 1 pkg(s) handful fresh parsley, roughly chopped
- 1 tbsp. capers
- 1 tbsp. kalamata olives, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp. balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 1 splash of caper juice (that your capers were stored in)
- 1 - 2 ds. pepper to taste
- 1. Start with the dressing, so it has time to marinate with you work on the salad. Just combine all ingredients and set aside in a small bowl.
- 2. In a medium sauce pan get your chicken broth and one cup of water boiling, add in the orzo and bring back to a boil. bring down to a simmer. It only takes 8-9 minutes so keep an eye on the clock or better yet use a kitchen timer. Once done just drain and set aside.
- 3. While your chicken broth is heating up to a boil chop all your salad ingredients. Heat 1 tbsp of olive oil on medium high and then toss in the onions and a pinch of salt. About 5 minutes later add in the garlic and the squash, stir often to make sure nothing burns, once the squash is cooked (taste it, it should be the consistency of a potato when cooked) turn off the heat and add the cooked orzo and the salad dressing, toss well until all incorporated.
- 4. Move to serving platter or personal plates, top with some goat cheese crumbles, chopped parsley and a glass of your favorite bubbly.