The secret to this delicious holiday cake recipe's fluffy texture? A teaspoon of vinegar.
This recipe contains dark brown sugar, shortening, eggs, milk, vinegar, all-purpose flour, ginger (powder), cinnamon, salt, nutmeg, powdered sugar
Prep time: 10 min
Cook time: 1 hr
- 1 1/4 cup(s) dark brown sugar, firmly packed
- 1/2 cup(s) shortening
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup(s) milk
- 1 tsp. vinegar
- 2 cup(s) all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 tsp. ground ginger
- 3/4 tsp. cinnamon
- 3/4 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. nutmeg
- 3 - 5 ds. powdered sugar, for sprinkling
- 1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease and flour a 9x9x2-inch square baking pan.
- 2. Beat brown sugar and shortening in large bowl until light and fluffy. Add eggs; beat 1 minute.
- 3. In small bowl, combine milk and vinegar; set aside for about 2 minutes.
- 4. Stir together flour, baking soda, ginger, cinnamon, salt and nutmeg in medium bowl. Alternately add milk and flour mixture to egg mixture, beating on low speed after each addition, until combined. Pour batter into prepared pan.
- 5. Bake 55 to 60 minutes, or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool completely in pan on wire rack. Sprinkle with confectioners' sugar before serving.