General Tso's Chicken
Spicy, tangy, slightly sweet and full of flavors!
This recipe contains XXXXX, chicken breasts (boneless skinless), mirin, baking soda, black pepper, XXXXX, sugar, chili paste (sambal), soy sauce, white vinegar, mirin, chicken stock, cornstarch, XXXXX, eggs, cornstarch, XXXXX, oil (canola), garlic (fresh), rice (ready)
Prep time: 10 min
Cook time: 30 min
- MARINADE FOR THE CHICKEN
- 1 lb. boneless, skinless chicken breast, cut into 1 inch cubes
- 2 tsp. mirin
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1/4 tsp. black pepper
- FOR THE SAUCE
- 2 tbsp. sugar
- 1 tbsp. sambal- chili paste
- 1 tbsp. soy sauce
- 3 tbsp. white vinegar
- 2 tbsp. mirin
- 1/4 cup(s) chicken stock
- 1 tsp. corn starch
- FOR THE BATTER
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup(s) corn starch
- FOR FRYING & STIR-FRY
- 1 pkg(s) frying oil
- 4 clove(s) garlic cloves, roughly chopped
- 1 - 2 cup(s) cooked rice, for serving
- 1. In a mixing bowl, combine all ingredients of marinade for chicken; mix well with your hand and set aside.
- 2. In another mixing bowl, combine all ingredients of sauce; whisk until sugar has dissolved and set aside.
- 3. Pour frying oil into your wok, at least 1 inch deep. Heat oil over medium-high heat to 325F.
- 4. Meanwhile oil is heating up, add egg and cornstarch into marinated chicken to create batter. Mix well with your hand.
- 5. Carefully add half amount of chicken into wok one by one. Make sure the chicken doesn’t stick to each other and not crowed the pot. (You have to do 2 or 3 batches) Fry chicken for 2 to 3 minutes and turn it over, cook 2 more minutes or until chicken is fully cooked and golden. Stir with a spatula as needed. Gently take them out from wok to a plate or wide bowl lined with paper towels. Repeat with rest of chicken. Set aside.
- 6. Let it cool completely, so they will be ready to deep fry one more time. Now increase heat to high heat, 375F. Deep fry the, cooled once-deep fried chicken one more time, about one minute. Gently take them out from wok to a plate or wide bowl lined with paper towels. Repeat with rest of chicken and set aside.
- 7. Pour out oil into a heat proof bowl, Wipe your wok with a paper towel lightly, inside and out. Add chopped garlic into cold wok then heat the wok over medium high heat.
- 8. Stir sauce made earlier and add to wok. Keep stirring as the sauce gets thick like syrup and starts boiling.
- 9. Add fried chicken into the sauce and toss everything together and let chicken get coated with sauce evenly all over. Remove from heat immediately.
- 10. Transfer to a serving plate and enjoy with warm cooked rice or noodles.