Roasted Chicken with Goat Cheese Mashed Potatoes & Sautéed Carrots
Buy ingredients at your local store to save time and money!
This recipe contains chicken (whole), garlic (fresh), lemons, potatoes (yukon gold), carrots, parsley (fresh), thyme, cheese (goat)
Prep time: 20 min
Cook time: 30 min
- 1/2 whole chicken
- 2 clove(s) garlic
- 1 whole lemon
- 3/4 lb. yukon gold potatoes
- 1/2 lb. carrots
- 1 pkg(s) fresh parsley
- 1 pkg(s) fresh thyme
- 2 tbsp. goat cheese
- 1. Preheat the oven to 475°F. Heat a small pot of salted water to boiling on high. Line a sheet pan with aluminum foil. Pat the chicken dry with paper towels; season with salt and pepper on both sides. Place on the prepared sheet pan. Drizzle with olive oil; turn to coat. Arrange the seasoned chicken skin side up. Roast 36 to 38 minutes, or until the chicken is browned and cooked through. (An instant-read thermometer inserted into the thickest part of the thigh should register 165ºF.) Remove from the oven. Reserving the juices on the sheet pan, transfer the roasted chicken to a cutting board. Let rest for at least 5 minutes.
- 2. While the chicken roasts, wash and dry the fresh produce. Large dice the potatoes. Peel and finely chop the garlic; using the flat side of your knife, smash until it resembles a paste (or use a zester). Peel the carrots; halve lengthwise, then cut crosswise into 1-inch pieces. Quarter and deseed the lemon. Roughly chop the parsley leaves and stems.
- 3. While the chicken continues to roast, add the potatoes to the pot of boiling water. Cook 14 to 16 minutes, or until tender when pierced with a fork. Turn off the heat. Drain thoroughly and return to the pot. Add the cheese, up to half the garlic paste, and a drizzle of olive oil. Using a fork, mash to your desired consistency; season with salt and pepper to taste. Set aside in a warm place.
- 4. While the potatoes cook, in a medium pan (nonstick, if you have one), heat a drizzle of olive oil on medium-high until hot. Add the carrots; season with salt and pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally, 9 to 11 minutes, or until browned and softened. Turn off the heat; season with salt and pepper to taste. Transfer to a plate. Wipe out the pan.
- 5. While the potatoes continue to cook, in the same pan, heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil on medium-high until hot. Add the whole thyme sprigs. Cook, stirring constantly, 30 seconds to 1 minute, or until fragrant. Turn off the heat. Stir in the remaining garlic paste, the juice of all 4 lemon wedges, and the juices from the sheet pan. Carefully remove and discard the thyme sprigs. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- 6. Using a sharp, sturdy knife, cut along the leg of the rested chicken to separate the thigh and breast. Cut the breast in half crosswise through the bone (keeping the wing intact). Cut through the joint connecting the drumstick to the thigh. Divide the mashed potatoes, cooked carrots, and carved chicken between 2 dishes. Top the chicken with the vinaigrette. Garnish with the parsley. Enjoy!