Easy Chicken Noodle Soup
Tender chicken, carrots and noodles make this soup perfect. Comfort food in a bowl and easy to prepare.
This recipe contains chicken (thighs, boneless, skinless), chicken broth, water, olive oil, onions, carrots, celery, pasta (rotini), dill, seasoning (all-purpose), salt
8 - 10 Servings
Prep time: 15 min
Cook time: 50 min
- 3 - 4 whole chicken thighs, skins removed, untrimmed
- 5 cup(s) chicken broth
- 10 cup(s) water
- 1 - 2 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 whole medium onion, finely chopped
- 3 whole medium carrots, 2 grated, 1 sliced into thin rings
- 2 whole medium celery stalks, finely chopped
- 1/2 lb. spiral pasta, such as rotini
- 3 tbsp. fresh or frozen dill
- 1 tsp. all purpose seasoning, see link for suggestions
- 1 pn. salt
- 1. In a large soup pot, combine 10 cups water with 5 cups chicken broth and 1 Tbsp salt. Bring to a boil then add chicken thighs and boil uncovered or partially covered 20 min (don’t completely cover or water will be murky).
- 2. Skim off any impurities that rise to the top. While chicken is cooking
- 3. In a large skillet saute onion in 2 Tbsp olive oil (not butter – it clumps in the soup when refrigerated) over medium heat until golden then increase heat to med/high and add grated carrots, chopped celery sticks and more oil as needed. Saute, stirring often until soft and golden brown then add to the soup pot.
- 4. Add 1/2 lb pasta and sliced carrots to the soup pot and continue cooking for 15 min at a low boil or until pasta is at desired softness
- 5. While pasta is cooking, remove chicken thighs from the pot and use either forks or your hands to shred the chicken, discarding any bones and fat which should come off easily
- 6. Return shredded chicken to the pot.
- 7. Season soup with 1 tsp your favorite seasoning and more salt to taste if needed
- 8. Finally add 3 Tbsp dill and remove from heat