Classic Seafood Paella
Classic Seafood Paella, with chorizo sausage, chicken, shrimp and mussels.
This recipe contains chorizo sausage, chicken tenders (uncooked), shrimp, mussels, paprika (smoked), oregano (dried), olive oil, salt, pepper, onion powder, fresh garlic, parsley (fresh), tomatoes (whole, peeled), rice (arborio), water, saffron threads, frozen peas, lemons
Prep time: 1 hr +
- 12 oz. chorizo sausage links, sliced
- 1 1/2 lb. chicken tenderloins, chopped into 1 ½” pieces
- 1 lb. large shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1 lb. fresh mussels, scrubbed and soaked
- 1 tbsp. smoked paprika
- 2 tsp. oregano
- 1/4 cup(s) olive oil
- 1 - 3 ds. salt to taste
- 1 - 3 ds. pepper to taste
- 1 whole onion, diced
- 3 clove(s) garlic cloves minced
- 1 cup(s) chopped fresh parsley, plus more for garnish
- 1 can(s) 15oz. whole tomatoes, hand crushed
- 2 cup(s) arborio rice
- 6 1/2 cup(s) warm water
- 1 - 2 pn. generous pinch of saffron threads
- 2/3 cup(s) frozen sweet peas, thawed
- 1 whole lemon wedges, for garnish
- 1. Combine the paprika and oregano in a small bowl. Add the chopped chicken tenderloins and mix to coat. Refrigerate for one hour.
- 2. Heat oil in a paella pan over medium-high heat. Sauté the chorizo until browned. Remove and reserve. Add the spiced chicken to the pan. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Brown on all sides and remove from the skillet. The chicken does not have to be cooked through at this point.
- 3. In the same pan, add onions, garlic and parsley. Cook for 3 minutes. Then, add the tomatoes and cook until saucy. Fold the rice in and stir-fry to coat the grains. Pour in the water and simmer for 10 minutes, gently stirring occasionally.
- 4. Add the chicken, chorizo and saffron. Cook for five minutes. Add the mussels and shrimp, tucking them into the rice. Continue cooking about 15 minutes, shaking the pan, but no longer stirring it. You want a light crust to form on the bottom of the pan. Cook until the mussels open up and the shrimp is pink. At this point, the rice should also be cooked through.
- 5. Remove from heat, and allow it to rest for five minutes. Garnish with peas, extra parsley and lemon wedges and serve immediately.