New Year’s Day Sweet Potato Hash
Our delicious Sweet Potato Hash loaded with Black Eyed Peas, Collards and Bacon is sure to bring good luck in the new year!
This recipe contains bacon, onions, fresh garlic, sweet potatoes, bell peppers (red), peas (black eyed), collard greens, fresh, chicken stock, garam masala, salt, pepper, cheese (feta)
Prep time: 10 min
Cook time: 30 min
- 1 lb. bacon, chopped
- 1 whole onion, diced
- 3 clove(s) garlic, minced
- 2 whole medium sweet potatoes, peeled and cut in small cubes
- 1 whole red bell pepper, diced
- 1 can(s) 15oz. black eyed peas
- 1 whole bunch of collard greens, stalks removed and sliced in thin ribbons
- 1/4 cup(s) chicken broth
- 1 tbsp. garam masala
- 1 pn. salt
- 1 pn. pepper
- garnish: crumbled feta cheese
- 1. Brown bacon in a large skillet over medium-high heat until golden and crispy. Remove with a slotted spoon and drain on a paper towels. Pour out all but 2 Tbs. of bacon fat and reserve for another use.
- 2. Add chopped onions to the skillet and cook over medium heat 5-6 minutes until soft. Add in the garlic and stir until fragrant. Scatter the sweet potatoes in the skillet, along with the chicken broth, garam masala, and salt and pepper to taste. Mix everything together and allow to rest in the skillet for 3-4 minutes before stirring again.
- 3. Partially cover the skillet with a lid. Allow to cook for another 10 minutes, stirring once or twice. Remove the lid and add in the bell pepper, and black-eyed peas. Carefully stir and cook until heated through. Toss in the collard green ribbons and cook just until wilted. Remove from heat and sprinkle with feta. Serve immediately with cornbread, if desired.