Vegetarian Stuffed Peppers
Peppers stuffed with black beans, corn, and rice.
This recipe contains green bell peppers, salt (kosher), pepper, rice (basmati), black beans (canned), whole kernel corn, onions, green chilies, cumin powder, cheese (Monterrey Jack, shredded), jalapenos (pickled), jalapenos (pickled)
Prep time: 10 min
Cook time: 25 min
- 8 whole green bell peppers
- 1 1/4 tsp. kosher salt, divided
- 1 tsp. pepper
- 3 cup(s) cooked Basmati rice
- 1 can(s) 15oz. can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 can(s) 11oz. can corn, drained
- 1 whole medium onion, chopped
- 1 can(s) 4oz. green chiles, chopped
- 1/2 tsp. ground cumin
- 2 oz. monterey jack cheese, shredded
- 2 oz. jalapeno peppers
- 1 pn. jalapeno peppers, slices for garnish
- 1. Cut a thin slice from stem end of each pepper, remove seeds and membranes, and rinse.
- 2. Cook peppers 5 minutes in enough boiling water to cover and then drain. Season the inside of the peppers with 1 teaspoon salt and black pepper and set them aside.
- 3. Combine the rice, beans, corn, onion, chiles, cumin and remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt.
- 4. Spoon 1 cup of the rice mixture into each pepper. After filling, stand the peppers upright in a 13 × 9-inch baking pan. Cover the pan with foil and bake the peppers at 350° F for 20 minutes.
- 5. Uncover and sprinkle peppers with cheese. Cook an additional 5 minutes or until cheese is melted. Garnish with jalapeño pepper slices.