Texas Chili- ground turkey, coffee, cocoa, beer, serrano peppers, dark kidney beans and cannelloni beans! Serve with your favorite chili toppings!
This recipe contains olive oil, turkey (ground), onions, beer, tomatoes (diced), coffee, tomato paste, brown sugar, chili sauce, cocoa powder, serrano pepper, cumin powder, coriander powder, cayenne pepper, salt, kidney beans (dark), cannellini beans
Prep time: 15 min
Cook time: 2 hr 30 min
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 lb. ground turkey, white or dark
- 1 whole large onion, finely chopped
- 12 oz. bottled beer
- 1 can(s) 14.5oz. can diced tomatoes
- 1/2 cup(s) coffee, brewed
- 1 tbsp. tomato paste
- 1/4 cup(s) brown sugar
- 1 tbsp. chili sauce
- 1 tbsp. cocoa powder
- 1/2 whole serrano or other hot pepper, seeded and finely chopped, or to taste
- 1 1/2 tbsp. ground cumin
- 1 1/2 tsp. ground coriander
- 1 tsp. cayenne pepper, or to taste
- 1 tsp. salt, or to taste
- 2 can(s) 15oz. kidney beans, canned
- 1 can(s) 15oz. cannellini or other white beans, canned
- 1. Place a Dutch oven or other large pot over medium heat. Add the oil and heat until shimmering. Add the meat and sauté until browned and then transfer to a plate.
- 2. Add the onion to the pot and stir for 1 minute. Take two large sips from the beer, and pour the rest into the pot. Stir in the tomatoes, coffee and tomato paste.
- 3. Add the brown sugar, chili sauce, cocoa powder, hot pepper, cumin, coriander, cayenne, salt and kidney beans. Return the meat to the pot. Reduce heat to low and simmer, partly covered, for 1 hour.
- 4. Add the white beans to the pot and simmer over very low heat, partly covered and stirring occasionally, for 1 to 2 more hours. (Longer cooking improves the flavor.) Adjust salt and cayenne pepper as needed and serve.