French Mussel Bisque
Mussels in a white wine cream sauce soup.
This recipe contains wine (white, dry), mussels, unsalted butter, onions (yellow), leeks, carrots, potatoes, garlic (minced), saffron threads, salt (kosher), pepper, tomatoes (roma), half & half, heavy cream, parsley (fresh)
Prep time: 15 min
Cook time: 40 min
- 1 bottle dry white wine, divided
- 2 lb. pier 33 gourmet mussels
- 6 tbsp. unsalted butter
- 1 1/2 cup(s) yellow onion, chopped
- 1 whole large leek, white and light green parts, cleaned and chopped
- 2 whole carrots, chopped
- 2 cup(s) baby potatoes, quartered
- 4 tsp. garlic, minced
- 1/2 tsp. saffron threads
- 1 ds. kosher salt
- 1 ds. pepper
- 3 whole roma tomatoes, peeled and chopped
- 1 1/2 cup(s) half-and-half
- 1 cup(s) heavy cream
- 1 pn. parsley for garnish
- 1. Bring 1 1/2 cups water and 1 cup of the wine to a boil in a large, shallow pot. Add the mussels, cover the pot, and cook over medium heat for 5 minutes, until the mussels open. When the mussels are cool enough to handle, separate the mussels from the shells and set aside, discarding the shells and any mussels that didn't open. Strain the cooking liquid through a sieve into a bowl and reserve.
- 2. Meanwhile, melt the butter in another large heavy-bottomed pot over medium heat. Add the onions, leek, carrots, potatoes, garlic, saffron, 2 tsp. salt, and 1 tsp. pepper and sauté, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes. Reduce the heat to low, cover, and cook for 20 minutes. Add the tomatoes and cook for another minute.
- 3. Add 2 cups of the reserved mussel cooking liquid and the rest of the wine, bring to a boil, lower the heat, and simmer uncovered for 5 minutes. Add the reserved mussels, the half-and-half, and the cream. Heat until just heated through but not boiling. Season to taste and garnish with parsley.