CrockPot Minestrone Soup
This is by far the best recipe you’ll ever try for Minestrone soup – a classic, hearty Italian soup with tomatoes, white beans, vegetables and pasta. You can use Swiss chard or baby kale instead of spinach if you wish and you can omit the pasta if you don’t want the carbs – honestly you won’t miss it with everything else in this soup. *You may substitute vegetable broth for chicken broth for a vegetarian option*
This recipe contains beans (cannellini), chicken stock (low sodium), olive oil, onions, carrots, celery, garlic (fresh), tomatoes (diced), rosemary (fresh), bay leaves, basil (fresh), parsley (italian), salt (kosher), black pepper, zucchini, spinach, pasta (ditalini), cheese (parmesan, shredded),
Prep time: 20 min
Cook time: 5 hr
- 1 can(s) 15oz. white beans, drained, rinsed (cannellini or navy)
- 1 pkg(s) 32oz. reduced sodium chicken broth (or vegetable broth for vegetarians)
- 2 tsp. olive oil
- 1/2 cup(s) chopped onion
- 1 cup(s) carrots, diced
- 1/2 cup(s) celery, diced
- 2 clove(s) garlic cloves, minced
- 1 can(s) 28oz. can petite diced tomatoes
- 1 fresh rosemary sprig
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 tbsp. fresh basil, chopped
- 1/4 cup(s) fresh Italian parsley, chopped
- 1/2 tsp. kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp. pepper
- 1 whole medium zucchini, diced (8oz)
- 2 cup(s) chopped fresh (or frozen defrosted) spinach
- 2 cup(s) cooked small pasta such as ditalini, al dente (or GF pasta)
- shredded parmesan cheese, for topping (optional)
- 1 parmesan cheese rind (optional)
- 1. Preheat oven to 400º.
- 2. In a large bowl, mix together all the meatball ingredients. I find it’s easiest to do this with my hands.
- 3. Form into balls about 1-1.5″ in diameter and place on a baking sheet lightly sprayed with nonstick spray.
- 4. Bake for 12-15 minutes or until meatballs are no longer pink on the inside.
- 5. Whisk together all the sauce ingredients until well blended. You can either drizzle sauce on each meatball for a fancy presentation or put the meatballs into the sauce and coat evenly.
- 6. Garnish with toasted sesame seeds (I buy these already toasted) and sliced green onion.